Monday, November 2, 2015

Moved to the city...

Well I got my new area! It's known as Broadway 1 southeast, or
Edgebrook. It is only about 20 minutes away from downtown Houston so
we are in the suburbs. So compared to my last area, I traveled all the
way across the mission. Edgebrook is a new area as of two transfers
ago. It is a biking area and was created by taking half the territory
of an Elder's area and half of an Hermana's area. So we have a ton of
Spanish people and I have no idea how to communicate with them. Dad
you should have taught me Spanish! There are a lot of Hispanic people
down here, we try to communicate the best we can, usually what we do
is try to tell them we have sister missionaries that speak Spanish,
and then we try to ask for their phone number so the Hermanas can call
them. It is quite the culture shock compared to Moss Bluff!
So my new companion is Elder Andrew from Boise Idaho! He looks a like
Hayden...ha ha.  He is a good missionary.
 Being transferred out of my first area makes it seem like I just restarted my mission,
but I think I am finally adjusting to the new place so things should move a lot
smoother this week.
Did we have anyone from the ward move down to Houston? There was a
lady who looked really familiar from Park Meadows, but I was so busy
trying to meet new members I didn't get a chance to say hello.
So the work down here is moving along. We have two solid investigators
right now. One is really excited to be baptized but he isn't making
time for us to come teach him, so we are gonna have to figure things
out. Our second investigator has had some life changing events happen
recently, and it is causing him to completely redo his lifestyle. That
day he decided to change he met the missionaries, and knew this was a
sign from God that he needs to change. We've met with him twice, and
he has a baptismal date now, so we are hoping things run smoothly with
him. How was y'alls Halloween? We had all this leftover candy from the
ward party on Tuesday, so we were gonna hand it out, but then it
started to rain. It was flooding everywhere and there was a tornado
warning so the district leader texted us to stay inside until it
clears up. When it finally did, we were able to do some missionary
work for a few hours until Halloween curfew came. We have to be inside
earlier on Halloween for safety reasons. So we were inside our
apartment for most of the day.
Sunday was cool! We have some really solid Ward members and it is
starting to become really missionary focused. Both Elder Andrew and I
agreed that we had no idea that missionary was so big before we came
out on missions. They set apart the first Ward mission leader here,
and he is over 5 companionships so we are starting to move things
along nicely! The Elders quorum is also Making a push for
missionary work, so we hopefully will have some good member present
lessons coming up.
Besides all the rain, we are doing pretty well down here! Hope you
guys are all good

Here is my new address

10919 Gulf Fwy #3103
Houston, TX 77039

Love,
Elder Blackburn

No comments:

Post a Comment